A Dedicated New Jersey and New York Personal Injury Attorney Fights for You
Helping you seek the compensation you need and deserve after a serious injury
After an accident that causes significant injuries to you or a loved one, you may need to seek compensation from the party responsible to help cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and more. For dependable legal guidance, call on the Law Offices of Craig A. Squitieri, serving injured people in New Jersey and New York. I offer unparalleled personal attention and a relentless approach to personal injury law, refusing to back down when protecting your best interests. When another party’s actions or negligence causes pain for you and your family, get in touch with me right away.
Injury claims stem from many different types of accidents
When a person or organization is negligent in their actions, they may directly or indirectly cause a serious accident that leaves others with significant injuries. The following are some of the most common types of accidents leading to personal injury claims:
- Auto accidents: In 2013, there were more than 280,000 motor vehicle accidents on New Jersey’s roads and highways, with many of these crashes resulting in serious injuries. Auto accidents may be the result of driver negligence, defective automotive parts, poor road conditions or a variety of other factors.
- Dog Bites: In New Jersey, a dog owner is legally liable for all of the damages inflicted upon a dog bite victim, even if the dog had never previously exhibited the propensity to bite humans.
- Truck accidents: Crashes involving large commercial trucks are particularly dangerous due to the sheer size and weight of these vehicles. As a result, truck accidents tend to cause significant injuries and property damage for drivers, passengers and bystanders.
- Premises liability: Property owners have a responsibility to keep their customers and guests reasonably safe, addressing obvious hazards in a quick and effective manner. If they fail to do so, they risk the safety of everyone who enters their premises. Slips and falls are the most common types of premises liability accidents.
- Defective products: When manufacturers distribute products to the public, they need to ensure that those items are completely safe for use. However, some companies rush products to market before they’ve been properly tested or fail to issue a recall when they discover a product is dangerous when used in a certain way.
- Medical malpractice: Doctors, nurses and other medical professionals are expected to deliver the very best care possible to patients using their education and training. When this doesn’t happen, complications related to misdiagnoses, delayed diagnoses, surgical errors and birth injuries may result.
- Workplace accidents: Some occupations are inherently more dangerous than others, but all employers are obligated to provide a safe work environment for their employees. You may need an attorney to assist with a workers’ compensation claim after a job-related injury.
What is the New Jersey tort threshold?
If you’ve been in an auto accident in New Jersey, one of the key pieces of information you need to know is your tort threshold. Unfortunately, many drivers don’t realize that this threshold even exists, and are surprised to learn that their ability to sue for damages might be limited.
When selecting your auto insurance policy, you have the option of choosing between the following threshold options:
- Limitation on tort claim: In exchange for lower premiums, you essentially accept a limited ability to seek compensation from at-fault parties in the event of a motor vehicle crash. There are exceptions for accidents that result in death and catastrophic injuries.
- No limitation on tort claim: This option involves paying a higher insurance premium, but you have no potential limits on your ability to file a lawsuit for injuries or property damage after a car accident.
Speak with a skilled personal injury lawyer today
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured due to someone else’s reckless actions or negligence, contact the Law Offices of Craig A. Squitieri right away. From my office in Englewood, I proudly serve individuals and families in Bergen, Essex, Hudson and Passaic counties, as well as the surrounding communities. Call (201) 676-0018 (NJ), (646)543-2918 (NY) or contact me online to set up a meeting.